1 July 2014
“The Journey” weekly Catholic radio show expands its reach around Australia
In August 2013, the Catholic Diocese of Wollongong aired the first of its radio programs, The Journey, as part of a venture with regional Christian Radio broadcaster, PULSE 94.1FM.
The weekly program grew out of an enthusiasm from Bishop Peter Ingham, Chair of the Australian Catholic Media Council, to present the Good News of the Christian faith to a broad audience.
Bishop Ingham has invited his brother Bishops to make links to www.radio.dow.org.au on their diocesan websites.
Bishop Ingham said, “Faith in Jesus Christ is the most precious of all gifts and we want to share it with others in a contemporary way so as to draw people into a richer and fuller way of living their life.”
“It is my dream that this local initiative, which has been well accepted, might be of benefit in promoting the Christian way of life via the medium of radio and web-based podcasts in many Dioceses.”
Currently The Journey is being played on PULSE 94.1 in the Illawarra, LIFE FM 105.1 in Bendigo, 98.5 THE LIGHT in Albury-Wodonga and LIFE FM 103.9 Gippsland.
Approximately 60% of Christian radio station audiences do not attend church but tune in because of the family-friendly content. This presents the Church with a great avenue to participate in the new evangelisation.
The Journey Producer, Mr Jude Hennessy, explained that the current coverage provides the show with a potential listening audience in the vicinity of around 200,000 each week, but potentially much more if the individual dioceses promote listening to The Journey via live streaming and podcasts.
The Journey’s regular segments include inputs from prominent Catholics including:
- A brief Reflection on the Sunday Gospel presented by a member of the clergy
- Wisdom from the Abbey: Sr Hilda Scott, Benedictine Nun, star of the ABC TV series “The Abbey”
- Bruce Downes, The Catholic Guy, encourages people in their daily walk with Christ
- Dr Byron and Francine Pirola provide tips for vibrant marriages in their Smart Loving segment
- Peter Gilmore, challenges young people to embrace faith in his segment Living the Gospel
- Trish McCarthy provides tips for healthy Christian living in her segment Milk and Honey
- Sam Clear promotes Christian unity with reflections on his Walk4one around the world
- Marilyn Rodriguez, The Peaceful Parent, gives tips on raising kids
- Fr Dave Callaghan (MGL) provides messages that focus on the new evangelisation
- There are so many people doing good things in our Church. The Journey interviews Catholics who are making a difference
- Contemporary Catholic and Christian music throughout the show
For more information about The Journey and how Dioceses and regional radio stations can access the program, please contact Mr Jude Hennessy on (02) 4222 2407 or at firstname.lastname@example.org